Suspected Boko Haram jihadists killed 5 Nigerian soldiers and injured 5 in a raid on a military post

Kano – Suspected Boko Haram jihadists killed five Nigerian soldiers and injured five others in a raid on a military post in the violence-torn northeast, locals and a military officer said on Tuesday.

“Our men were outgunned and outnumbered,” said a military officer in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

Scores of fighters loyal to the Boko Haram faction headed by Abu Musab Al-Barnawi stormed a checkpoint near Sabon Garin Kimba village about 140km from Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram.

ALSO READ   An Irish Woman Who has been an Ambassador for the Irish community in south London since arriving in the city in the 1940s will Receive the Irish Post Community Award 2016.

“We lost five men in the fight. Five more were injured,” the military officer said.

The Islamic State group last year appointed Al-Barnawi as head of Boko Haram, replacing long-time leader Abubakar Shekau.

Forced soldiers

Mustapha Karimbe, a civilian assisting the military, said the jihadists took military vehicles and burned three armoured cars along with makeshift sheds at the checkpoint.

ALSO READ   Chinese film festival pushes for end to gender inequality

“The terrorists attacked the soldiers… and remained in the village for three hours before they withdrew,” said Karimbe.

This was the second attack on the same military checkpoint in under a month.

Late last month, jihadists dressed in Nigerian military uniforms attacked the checkpoint and forced soldiers to withdraw before looting food and medical supplies from the village.

ALSO READ   Top US News: More Than 1,200 Alien Planets Discovered By NASA, Walt Disney Shares Decline, &More

Boko Haram has in recent weeks intensified attacks on military targets in the northeast.

The insurgency began in northeast Nigeria and has spread to Chad, Cameroon and Niger, claiming more than 20 000 lives and displacing 2.6 million people.