Russia’s defense ministry said Thursday it was working with the Syrian authorities to prepare the evacuation of the remaining militants in war-torn eastern Aleppo

“On the order of Russian President Vladimir Putin, the Russian ceasefire monitoring centre, in cooperation with Syrian authorities, is preparing the evacuation of the remaining rebels and members of their families from the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo,” a ministry statement said.

ALSO READ   Ghana: Mahama to kick-start official campaign in Western Region

The militants would be evacuated toward the northwestern Syrian city of Idlib in 20 buses and 10 ambulances, it said.

The announcement comes as a new agreement was reached for the evacuation of terrorists remaining in Aleppo, according to a senior Syrian military source.

ALSO READ   Putin visits Slovenia amid tensions with EU, NATO

The Russian defense ministry said that Syrian authorities had guaranteed the safety of the militants leaving the city.

A similar evacuation which had been due to take place on Wednesday morning fell apart, with Russia saying militants broke the truce, prompting the Syrian army had resumed its assault on eastern Aleppo.